Név Scarnocchio Amarone Della Valpolicella Classico Superiore
Grape varieties 80% Corvina Veronese, Corvivone, 20% Rondinella.
Training System Only the Pergola training system is used
Harvest The grapes are picked around mid-October, after they have just started to dry on the vine. This drying process then continues in crates in a special drying area, under controlled conditions of humidity and at natural winter temperatures for 130-140 days, in order to concentrate to the full the aromas and polyphenols in the grapes.
Vinification Gentle crushing and destemming of the grapes takes place, depending on the vintage, between the end of January and the beginning of M arch, and fermentation in small, temperature-controlled truncated cone-shaped stainless steel vats is started off by indigenous yeasts in order to really highlight the specific organoleptic qualities of the grapes from the Scarnocchio cru. The fermentation is a slow one, with long maceration on the skins in order to allow for maximum extraction of the typical complex aromatic and polyphenolic components. Following the alcoholic fermentation, the wine goes directly into oak casks and barriques where it completes its malolactic fermentation. After a racking in the summer, 90% of the Amarone Scarnocchio continues to mature, for at least 24 months, in 30-hectolitre oak casks and the remaining 10% in barriques before bottling. It then spends a period of at least 14 months in bottle before being released for sale.
Characteristics A dry red wine. Deep ruby red with garnet highlights. Floral and ripe fruit notes, such as cherries (both fresh and under spirits), plums, liquorice and leather; spices, such as pepper and cinnamon; hints of undergrowth. Extremely complex, but at the same time well-balanced, velvety and robust, dry, full-bodied, generous and austere.
Pairings Originally intended as a wine to sip after dinner, but it also goes well with rich, full-flavoured dishes such as game and aged and very piquant cheeses.
Ideal serving temperature 16-18°C.
Alcoholic strength 15,5%